- Batruch I.
- Lecker I.
- Kagedan D.
- Smith C.R.
- Mullen B.J.
- Grober E.
- Lo K.C.
- Diamandis E.P.
- Jarvi K.A.
Conventional Approach to Analyze Quantitative Proteomics Data
Novel Approaches to Analyze Quantitative Proteomics and Identify Patient-specific Alterations
- Busso D.
- Oñate-Alvarado M.J.
- Balboa E.
- Castro J.
- Lizama C.
- Morales G.
- Vargas S.
- Härtel S.
- Moreno R.D.
- Zanlungo S.
Quantitative Proteomics as A Tool to Provide Insights in Seminal Plasma Proteome Signatures Of Infertile Patients
- EAU guidelines on male infertility.Eur. Urol. 2005; 48: 703-711
- World Health Organization, Geneva, Switzerland2010: 272 WHO laboratory manual for the Examination and processing of human semen. 5th Ed.
- Sperm functional tests.Fertil. Steril. 2014; 102: 1528-1533
- Clinical laboratory evaluation of male subfertility.Adv. Clin. Chem. 2005; 40: 317-364
- Proteomics of human seminal plasma: Identification of biomarker candidates for fertility and infertility and the evolution of technology.Mol. Reprod. Dev. 2013; 80: 350-357
- Seminal biomarkers for the evaluation of male infertility.Asian J. Androl. 2016; 18: 426-433
- Human sperm tail proteome suggests new endogenous metabolic pathways.Mol. Cell. Proteomics. 2013; 12: 330-342
- The contribution of human sperm proteins to the development and epigenome of the preimplantation embryo.Hum. Reprod. Update. 2018; 24: 535-555
- The combined human sperm proteome: cellular pathways and implications for basic and clinical science.Hum. Reprod. Update. 2013; 20: 40-62
- Semen proteomics and male infertility.J. Proteomics. 2017; 162: 125-134
- Proteomics analysis of good and poor quality human sperm demonstrates several proteins are routinely aberrantly regulated.Biol. Reprod. 2017; 99: 395-408
- Identification of proteins involved in human sperm motility using high-throughput differential proteomics.J. Proteome Res. 2014; 13: 5670-5684
- Identification of genital tract markers in the human seminal plasma using an integrative genomics approach.Hum. Reprod. 2013; 28: 199-209
- Understanding the seminal plasma proteome and its role in male fertility.Basic Clin. Androl. 2018; 28: 6
- Proteomics of reproductive systems: Towards a molecular understanding of postmating, prezygotic reproductive barriers.J. Proteomics. 2016; 135: 26-37
- Seminal plasma as a diagnostic fluid for male reproductive system disorders.Nat. Rev. Urol. 2014; 11: 278-288
- Exploring the human seminal plasma proteome: An unexplored gold mine of biomarker for male Infertility and male reproduction disorder.J. Reprod. Infertil. 2015; 16: 61-71
- The importance of seminal plasma for human sperm motility.Biol. Reprod. 1974; 10: 533-542
- Penetration, adhesion, and fusion in mammalian sperm-egg interaction.Science. 2002; 296: 2183-2185
- Prostasomes-their effects on human male reproduction and fertility.Hum. Reprod. Update. 2006; 12: 283-292
- Circulating human antisperm antibodies recognize prostasomes.Am. J. Reprod. Immunol. 2001; 46: 211-219
- Prostasomes: current concepts.Prostate. 2000; 43: 169-174
- Epididymosomes and prostasomes: Their roles in posttesticular maturation of the sperm cells.J. Androl. 2003; 24: 149-154
- The motility of human spermatozoa as influenced by prostasomes at various pH levels.Biol. Cell. 1999; 91: 51-54
- Human prostasomes from normozoospermic and nonnormozoospermic men show a differential protein expression pattern.Andrology. 2018; 6: 585-596
- Oxidative stress, spermatozoa and leukocytic infiltration: relationships forged by the opposing forces of microbial invasion and the search for perfection.J. Reprod. Immunol. 2013; 100: 11-19
- Seminal plasma proteins: What role do they play?.Am. J. Reprod. Immunol. 2011; 66: 11-22
- Seminal plasma and male factor signalling in the female reproductive tract.Cell Tissue Res. 2005; 322: 43-52
- Proteomic discovery of diverse immunity molecules in mammalian spermatozoa.Syst. Biol. Reprod. Med. 2012; 58: 218-228
- The seminal fluid proteome of the polyandrous Red junglefowl offers insights into the molecular basis of fertility, reproductive ageing and domestication.Sci. Rep. 2016; 6: 35864
- Association between the seminal plasma proteome and sperm functional traits.Fertil. Steril. 2016; 105: 617-628
- Analysis of the functional aspects and seminal plasma proteomic profile of sperm from smokers.BJU Int. 2016; 118: 814-822
- Proteomic analysis of seminal plasma from asthenozoospermia patients reveals proteins that affect oxidative stress responses and semen quality.Asian J. Androl. 2009; 11: 484-491
- Comparative analysis of interindividual variations in the seminal plasma proteome of fertile men with identification of potential markers for azoospermia in infertile patients.J. Androl. 2007; 28: 858-865
- A comprehensive characterization of the peptide and protein constituents of human seminal fluid.Prostate. 2004; 61: 171-181
- Proteomic analysis of seminal plasma in men with different spermatogenic impairment.Andrologia. 2012; 44: 256-264
- Comparative analysis of boar seminal plasma proteome from different freezability ejaculates and identification of Fibronectin 1 as sperm freezability marker.Andrology. 2015; 3: 345-356
- Towards Understanding Male Infertility After Spinal Cord Injury Using Quantitative Proteomics.Mol. Cell. Proteomics. 2016; 15: 1424-1434
- Large-scale and high-confidence proteomic analysis of human seminal plasma.Genome Biol. 2006; 7: R40
- Human spermatozoa quantitative proteomic signature classifies normo- and asthenozoospermia.Mol. Cell. Proteomics. 2017; 16: 57-72
- Proteomic analysis of seminal plasma from infertile patients with oligoasthenoteratozoospermia due to oxidative stress and comparison with fertile volunteers.Fertil. Steril. 2013; 100: 355
- Differences in the seminal plasma proteome are associated with oxidative stress levels in men with normal semen parameters.Fertil. Steril. 2015; 104: 292-301
- Comparative analysis of the seminal plasma proteomes of oligoasthenozoospermic and normozoospermic men.Reprod. Biomed. Online. 2015; 30: 522-531
- Comparative proteomic network signatures in seminal plasma of infertile men as a function of reactive oxygen species.Clin. Proteomics. 2015; 12: 23
- Soluble protein fraction of human seminal plasma.J. Proteomics. 2018; 174: 85-100
- Functional proteomic analysis of seminal plasma proteins in men with various semen parameters.Reprod. Biol. Endocrinol. 2013; 11: 38
- Proteomic analysis of seminal fluid from men exhibiting oxidative stress.Reprod. Biol. Endocrinol. 2013; 11: 85
- Sperm nuclear DNA fragmentation rate is associated with differential protein expression and enriched functions in human seminal plasma.BJU Int. 2013; 112: 835-843
- Proteomic approach in the identification of fertility pattern in seminal plasma of fertile men.Fertil. Steril. 2012; 97: 67-73
- Differential diagnosis of azoospermia with proteomic biomarkers ECM1 and TEX101 quantified in seminal plasma.Sci. Transl. Med. 2013; 5: 212ra160
- Analysis of seminal plasma from patients with non-obstructive azoospermia and identification of candidate biomarkers of male infertility.J. Proteome Res. 2012; 11: 1503-1511
- Verification of male infertility biomarkers in seminal plasma by multiplex selected reaction monitoring assay.Mol. Cell Proteomics. 2011; 10
- Proteomic analysis of seminal plasma from normal volunteers and post-vasectomy patients identifies over 2000 proteins and candidate biomarkers of the urogenital system.J. Proteome Res. 2011; 10: 941-953
- Development of narrow immobilized pH gradients covering one pH unit for human seminal plasma proteomic analysis.Proteomics. 2003; 3: 1611-1619
- Mapping of seminal plasma proteins by two-dimensional gel electrophoresis in men with normal and impaired spermatogenesis.Mol. Hum. Reprod. 2001; 7: 715-722
- Preclinical evaluation of a TEX101 protein ELISA test for the differential diagnosis of male infertility.BMC Med. 2017; 15: 60
- Comparative proteomic analysis coupled with conventional protein assay as a strategy to identify predictors of successful testicular sperm extraction in patients with non-obstructive azoospermia.Andrology. 2013; 1: 414-420
- Identification of protein changes in human spermatozoa throughout the cryopreservation process.Andrology. 2017; 5: 10-22
- Identification of human sperm transcripts as candidate markers of male fertility.J. Mol. Med. 2009; 87: 735-748
- Evaluation of the effectiveness of semen storage and sperm purification methods for spermatozoa transcript profiling.Syst. Biol. Reprod. Med. 2013; 59: 287-295
- Gene Ontology: tool for the unification of biology.Nat. Genet. 2000; 25: 25-29
- Tissue-based map of the human proteome.Science. 2015; 347: 1260419
- Towards a knowledge-based Human Protein Atlas.Nat. Biotechnol. 2010; 28: 1248-1250
- R: A language and environment for statistical computing. R Foundation for Statistical Computing, Vienna, Austria2014
- Determination of testicular function in adolescents with varicocoele - a proteomics approach.Andrology. 2016; 4: 447-455
- Spermatozoa modulate epididymal cell proliferation and protein secretion in vitro.Mol. Reprod. Dev. 2008; 75: 512-520
- A spermatozoa-associated factor regulates proenkephalin gene expression in the rat epididymis.Mol. Endocrinol. 1990; 4: 108-118
- The use of sperm proteomics in the assisted reproduction laboratory.in: Garrido N. Rivera R. A practical guide to sperm analysis. CRC Press, Boca Raton, FL2017: 233-244
- Advances in sperm proteomics: best-practise methodology and clinical potential.Expert Rev. Proteomics. 2015; 12: 255-277
- Identification and function of proteolysis regulators in seminal fluid.Mol. Reprod. Dev. 2013; 80: 80-101
- Creatine kinase as an indicator of sperm quality and maturity in men with oligospermia.Urology. 2001; 58: 446-451
- Glycodelin-S in human seminal plasma reduces cholesterol efflux and inhibits capacitation of spermatozoa.J. Biol. Chem. 2005; 280: 25580-25589
- Expression of cystatin C in the female reproductive tract and its effect on human sperm capacitation.Reprod. Biol. Endocrinol. 2018; 16: 8
- Clusterin in the mouse epididymis: possible roles in sperm maturation and capacitation.Reproduction. 2017; 154: 867-880
- Human fertilization: Epididymal hCRISP1 mediates sperm-zona pellucida binding through its interaction with ZP3.Mol. Hum. Reprod. 2014; 20: 341-349
- Spermatozoa from mice deficient in Niemann-Pick disease type C2 (NPC2) protein have defective cholesterol content and reduced in vitro fertilising ability.Reprod. Fertil. Dev. 2014; 26: 609-621
- Amidolytic activity of prostatic acid phosphatase on human semenogelins and semenogelin-derived synthetic substrates.Eur. J. Biochem. 2002; 269: 390-395
- A kallikrein-like serine protease in prostatic fluid cleaves the predominant seminal vesicle protein.J. Clin. Invest. 1985; 76: 1899-1903
- Human Epididymis Protein-4 (HE-4): A novel cross-class protease inhibitor.PLoS ONE. 2012; 7: e47672
- Zinc binding to major human seminal coagulum proteins.Syst. Biol. Reprod. Med. 1989; 23: 155-163
- Polyamines and transglutaminase actions: Polyamine und Transglutaminase-Wirkungen.Andrologia. 1990; 22: 83-91
- β2-microglobulin gene duplication in cetartiodactyla remains intact only in pigs and possibly confers selective advantage to the species.PLoS ONE. 2017; 12: e0182322
- CX3CL1 and CCL14 regulate extracellular matrix and adhesion molecules in the trophoblast: potential roles in human embryo implantation.Biol. Reprod. 2008; 79: 58-65
- Heparin binding carboxypeptidase E protein exhibits antibacterial activity in human semen.Int. J. Biol. Macromol. 2014; 64: 319-327
- Properties of a Flavoprotein Sulfhydryl Oxidase from Rat Seminal Vesicle Secretion.Biochemistry. 1980; 19: 2639-2645
- Marked correlations in protein expression identified by proteomic analysis of human spermatozoa.Proteomics. 2007; 7: 4264-4277
- Inhibition of iron / ascorbate-induced lipid peroxidation by an N-terminal peptide of bovine lactoferrin and its acylated derivatives.Biosci. Biotechnol. Biochem. 1999; 63: 955-957
- The protein and transcript profiles of human semen.Cell Tissue Res. 2016; 363: 85-96
- 2016 update of the PRIDE database and its related tools.Nucleic Acids Res. 2016; 44: D447-DD56
Author contributions: F.B., M.J., A.S.-V., R.O. designed the study; F.B., M.J., A.S.-V. performed research; J.M.E. performed proteomic technology; F.B., M.J., D.D.-D. performed the data analysis; F.B., M.J., R.O. interpreted the data and wrote the manuscript; C.M., J.L.B. were involved in the clinical diagnosis of patients; F.B., M.J., D.D.-D., A.S.-V., J.M.E., C.M., J.L.B., R.O. critically reviewed and approved the final version of the manuscript.
User LicenseCreative Commons Attribution (CC BY 4.0) |
- Read, print & download
- Redistribute or republish the final article
- Text & data mine
- Translate the article
- Reuse portions or extracts from the article in other works
- Sell or re-use for commercial purposes
Elsevier's open access license policy