- •Middle–down is the most suitable to study histone combinatorial post-translational modifications.
- •Crosslinking MS has a variety of potential applications in exploring histone post-translational modifications.
- •Hydrogen–deuterium exchange MS holds great promise to study the compaction of nucleosome.
- •Multi-omics approaches are useful to study complex regulatory networks.
Abbreviations:AKT (protein kinase B), AP (affinity purification), BIR (baculovirus IAP repeat domain), BS3 (bissulfosuccinimidyl suberate), CBP (CREB-binding protein), ChIP (chromatin immunoprecipitation), CID (collision-induced dissociation), CL (crosslinking), CRISPR (clusters of regularly interspaced short palindromic repeats), DIPG (diffuse intrinsic pontine glioma), DSBU (disuccinimidyl dibutyric urea), DSS (disuccinimidyl suberate), DSSO, disuccinimidyl sulfoxide (EDC), 1-ethyl-3-(3-dimethylaminopropyl)carbodiimide hydrochloride (ERK), extracellular signal–regulated kinase (ETD), electron-transfer dissociation (EZH2), histone–lysine N-methyltransferase enzyme (FFPE), formalin-fixed paraffin embedded (HAT), histone acetyltransferase (hCYS), homocysteine (HDAC, histone deacetylase), HDX (hydrogen-deuterium exchange), HDMC (histone demethylases), HMT (histone methyltransferases), HSV-1 (herpes simplex virus type 1), IP (immunoprecipitation), KDM5A (lysine-specific demethylase 5A), LC (liquid chromatography), MAPK (mitogen-activated protein kinase), MS (mass spectrometry), MSK (ribosomal protein S6 kinase), P300 (histone acetyltransferase p300), PGC (porous graphitic carbon), PI3K (phosphatidylinositol 3-kinase), PTM (post-translational modification), PHD (plant homeodomain), RAF (RAF proto-oncogene serine/threonine-protein kinase), RAS (rat sarcoma), SAH (S-adenosylhomocysteine), SDA (succinimidyl 4,4'-azipentanoate), SILAC (stable isotope labeling by amino acids in cell culture), TCA (tricarboxylic acid), TGF-β (transforming growth factor beta), WCX-HILIC (weak cation exchange-hydrophilic interaction chromatography)
Overview of MS-Based Proteomics Methods for the Analysis of Histone PTMs
- Sidoli S.
- Yuan Z.-F.
- Lin S.
- Karch K.
- Wang X.
- Bhanu N.
- Arnaudo A.M.
- Britton L.-M.
- Cao X.-J.
- Gonzales-Cope M.
- Han Y.
- Liu S.
- Molden R.C.
- Wein S.
- Afjehi-Sadat L.
- et al.
- Zheng Y.
- Fornelli L.
- Compton P.D.
- Sharma S.
- Canterbury J.
- Mullen C.
- Zabrouskov V.
- Fellers R.T.
- Thomas P.M.
- Licht J.D.
- Zheng Y.
- Fornelli L.
- Compton P.D.
- Sharma S.
- Canterbury J.
- Mullen C.
- Zabrouskov V.
- Fellers R.T.
- Thomas P.M.
- Licht J.D.
Analysis of Histones and Their PTMs
Middle–Down Proteomics Applications
Histone Interactome and Chromatin Structure
- Makepeace K.A.T.
- Mohammed Y.
- Rudashevskaya E.L.
- Petrotchenko E.V.
- Vögtle F.-N.
- Meisinger C.
- Sickmann A.
- Borchers C.H.
Hydrogen–Deuterium Exchange MS
- Masson G.R.
- Burke J.E.
- Ahn N.G.
- Anand G.S.
- Borchers C.
- Brier S.
- Bou-Assaf G.M.
- Engen J.R.
- Englander S.W.
- Faber J.
- Garlish R.
- Griffin P.R.
- Gross M.L.
- Guttman M.
- Hamuro Y.
- et al.
Impact of Metabolism on Histone PTMs
Signaling to Chromatin
Multiomics Approach to Study Chromatin Biology
- Backman M.
- Flenkenthaler F.
- Blutke A.
- Dahlhoff M.
- Ländström E.
- Renner S.
- Philippou-Massier J.
- Krebs S.
- Rathkolb B.
- Prehn C.
- Grzybek M.
- Coskun Ü.
- Rothe M.
- Adamski J.
- de Angelis M.H.
- et al.
Conflict of interest
Funding and additional information
- Crystal structure of the nucleosome core particle at 2.8 Å resolution.Nature. 1997; 389: 251-260
- Chromatin three-dimensional interactions mediate genetic effects on gene expression.Science. 2019; 364: eaat8266
- Post-translational modifications of histones that influence nucleosome dynamics.Chem. Rev. 2015; 115: 2274-2295
- Chromatin modification and epigenetic reprogramming in mammalian development.Nat. Rev. Genet. 2002; 3: 662-673
- Chromatin accessibility and the regulatory epigenome.Nat. Rev. Genet. 2019; 20: 207-220
- Epigenetic regulation by long noncoding RNAs.Science. 2012; 338: 1435-1439
- Histone acetylation in chromatin structure and transcription.Nature. 1997; 389: 349-352
- The language of covalent histone modifications.Nature. 2000; 403: 41-45
- Readers of histone modifications.Cell Res. 2011; 21: 564-578
- The interplay of histone modifications - writers that read.EMBO Rep. 2015; 16: 1467-1481
- Metabolic regulation of gene expression through histone acylations.Nat. Rev. Mol. Cell Biol. 2017; 18: 90-101
- Interacting cancer machineries: cell signaling, lipid metabolism, and epigenetics.Trends Endocrinol. Metab. 2018; 29: 86-98
- The chromatin landscape of neuronal plasticity.Curr. Opin. Neurobiol. 2019; 59: 79-86
- The expanding landscape of 'oncohistone' mutations in human cancers.Nature. 2019; 567: 473-478
- Characterization of individual histone posttranslational modifications and their combinatorial patterns by mass spectrometry-based proteomics strategies.Methods Mol. Biol. 2017; 1528: 121-148
- Mass spectrometric analysis of histone proteoforms.Annu. Rev. Anal. Chem. 2014; 7: 113-128
- The top-down, middle-down, and bottom-up mass spectrometry approaches for characterization of histone variants and their post-translational modifications.Proteomics. 2014; 14: 489-497
- Enrichment of histones from patient samples for mass spectrometry-based analysis of post-translational modifications.Methods. 2020; 184: 19-28
- Extraction, purification and analysis of histones.Nat. Protoc. 2007; 2: 1445
- Quantitative characterization of histone post-translational modifications using a stable isotope dimethyl-labeling strategy.Anal. Methods. 2015; 7: 3779-3785
- Maleic anhydride labeling-based approach for quantitative proteomics and successive derivatization of peptides.Anal. Chem. 2017; 89: 8259-8265
- Chemical derivatization of histones for facilitated analysis by mass spectrometry.Nat. Protoc. 2007; 2: 933
- Drawbacks in the use of unconventional hydrophobic anhydrides for histone derivatization in bottom-up proteomics PTM analysis.Proteomics. 2015; 15: 1459-1469
- Tackling aspecific side reactions during histone propionylation: the promise of reversing overpropionylation.Proteomics. 2016; 16: 1970-1974
- Mass spectrometric quantification of histone post-translational modifications by a hybrid chemical labeling method.Mol. Cell. Proteomics. 2015; 14: 1148-1158
- Absolute quantification of histone PTM marks by MRM-based LC-MS/MS.Anal. Chem. 2014; 86: 9679-9686
- Complete workflow for analysis of histone post-translational modifications using bottom-up mass spectrometry: from histone extraction to data analysis.J. Vis. Exp. 2016; e54112
- Recent achievements in characterizing the histone code and approaches to integrating epigenomics and systems biology.Methods Enzymol. 2017; 2586: 359-378
- Low resolution data-independent acquisition in an LTQ-Orbitrap allows for simplified and fully untargeted analysis of histone modifications.Anal. Chem. 2015; 87: 11448-11454
- Quantification of SAHA-dependent changes in histone modifications using data-independent acquisition mass spectrometry.J. Proteome Res. 2015; 14: 3252-3262
- Chromatin remodeling and bivalent histone modifications in embryonic stem cells.EMBO Rep. 2015; 16: 1609-1619
- Unabridged analysis of human histone H3 by differential top-down mass spectrometry reveals hypermethylated proteoforms from MMSET/NSD2 overexpression.Mol. Cell. Proteomics. 2016; 15: 776-790
- Simultaneous proteoform analysis of histones H3 and H4 with a simplified middle-down proteomics method.Anal. Chem. 2018; 90: 3083-3090
- Progress in epigenetic histone modification analysis by mass spectrometry for clinical investigations.Expert Rev. Proteomics. 2015; 12: 499-517
- Progress in top-down proteomics and the analysis of proteoforms.Annu. Rev. Anal. Chem. 2016; 9: 499-519
- Top down proteomics: facts and perspectives.Biochem. Bioph Res. Commun. 2014; 445: 683-693
- Bottom-up and middle-down proteomics have comparable accuracies in defining histone post-translational modification relative abundance and stoichiometry.Anal. Chem. 2015; 87: 3129-3133
- Middle-down proteomics: a still unexploited resource for chromatin biology.Expert Rev. Proteomics. 2017; 14: 617-626
- Bullet points to evaluate the performance of the middle-down proteomics workflow for histone modification analysis.Methods. 2020; 184: 86-92
- Sensitive and precise characterization of combinatorial histone modifications by selective derivatization coupled with RPLC-EThcD-MS/MS.J. Proteome Res. 2017; 16: 780-787
- Quantitation of single and combinatorial histone modifications by integrated chromatography of bottom-up peptides and middle-down polypeptide tails.J. Am. Soc. Mass Spectr. 2019; 30: 2449-2459
- Linear and differential ion mobility separations of middle-down proteoforms.Anal. Chem. 2018; 90: 2918-2925
- Characterization of complete histone tail proteoforms using differential ion mobility spectrometry.Anal. Chem. 2017; 89: 5461-5466
- Ion mobility separation of variant histone tails extending to the "middle-down" range.Anal. Chem. 2012; 84: 4271-4276
- ChIP–seq: advantages and challenges of a maturing technology.Nat. Rev. Genet. 2009; 10: 669-680
- An ultra-low-input native ChIP-seq protocol for genome-wide profiling of rare cell populations.Nat. Commun. 2015; 6: 1-8
- The ENCODE (ENCyclopedia of DNA elements) project.Science. 2004; 306: 636-640
- Co-ChIP enables genome-wide mapping of histone mark co-occurrence at single-molecule resolution.Nat. Biotechnol. 2016; 34: 953-961
- Rapid immunoprecipitation mass spectrometry of endogenous proteins (RIME) for analysis of chromatin complexes.Nat. Protoc. 2016; 11: 316-326
- An assessment of histone-modification antibody quality.Nat. Struct. Mol. Biol. 2011; 18: 91
- An interactive database for the assessment of histone antibody specificity.Mol. Cell. 2015; 59: 502-511
- One minute analysis of 200 histone posttranslational modifications by direct injection mass spectrometry.Genome Res. 2019; 29: 978-987
- Analysis of dynamic changes in post-translational modifications of human histones during cell cycle by mass spectrometry.Mol. Cell. Proteomics. 2007; 6: 1917-1932
- Histone methylation dynamics and gene regulation occur through the sensing of one-carbon metabolism.Cell Metab. 2015; 22: 861-873
- Acetylation dynamics and stoichiometry in Saccharomyces cerevisiae.Mol. Syst. Biol. 2014; 10: 716
- Metabolic labeling in middle-down proteomics allows for investigation of the dynamics of the histone code.Epigenet. Chromatin. 2017; 10: 34
- Lysine propionylation and butyrylation are novel post-translational modifications in histones.Mol. Cell. Proteomics. 2007; 6: 812-819
- Lysine 2-hydroxyisobutyrylation is a widely distributed active histone mark.Nat. Chem. Biol. 2014; 10: 365-370
- Metabolic regulation by lysine malonylation, succinylation, and glutarylation.Mol. Cell. Proteomics. 2015; 14: 2308-2315
- Lysine glutarylation is a protein posttranslational modification regulated by SIRT5.Cell Metab. 2014; 19: 605-617
- Metabolic regulation of gene expression by histone lysine β-hydroxybutyrylation.Mol. Cell. 2016; 62: 194-206
- Lysine succinylation and lysine malonylation in histones.Mol. Cell. Proteomics. 2012; 11: 100-107
- Identification of 67 histone marks and histone lysine crotonylation as a new type of histone modification.Cell. 2011; 146: 1016-1028
- Metabolic regulation of gene expression by histone lactylation.Nature. 2019; 574: 575-580
- A chemical probe for lysine malonylation.Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. Engl. 2013; 52: 4883-4886
- Glutarylation of histone H4 lysine 91 regulates chromatin dynamics.Mol. Cell. 2019; 76 (e9): 660-675
- A chemical probe for protein crotonylation.J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2018; 140: 4757-4760
- Histone serotonylation is a permissive modification that enhances TFIID binding to H3K4me3.Nature. 2019; 567: 535-539
- Quantitative proteomic analysis of histone modifications.Chem. Rev. 2015; 115: 2376-2418
- Comprehensive catalog of currently documented histone modifications.Cold Spring Harb. Perspect. Biol. 2015; 7: a025064
- SnapShot: histone modifications.Cell. 2014; 159: 458-458. e1
- Every amino acid matters: essential contributions of histone variants to mammalian development and disease.Nat. Rev. Genet. 2014; 15: 259-271
- MacroH2A histone variants act as a barrier upon reprogramming towards pluripotency.Nat. Commun. 2013; 4: 1565
- Histone variants and epigenetics.Cold Spring Harb. Perspect. Biol. 2015; 7: a019364
- Tissue-specific expression of histone H3 variants diversified after species separation.Epigenet. Chromatin. 2015; 8: 35
- Histone H3 mutations in cancer.Curr. Pharmacol. Rep. 2018; 4: 292-300
- Inhibition of PRC2 activity by a gain-of-function H3 mutation found in pediatric glioblastoma.Science. 2013; 340: 857-861
- Histone tail cleavage as a novel epigenetic regulatory mechanism for gene expression.BMB Rep. 2018; 51: 211-218
- Modifying chromatin by histone tail clipping.J. Mol. Biol. 2018; 430: 3051-3067
- Histone H3 tail clipping regulates gene expression.Nat. Struct. Mol. Biol. 2009; 16: 17-22
- Identification of histone H3 clipping activity in human embryonic stem cells.Stem Cell Res. 2014; 13: 123-134
- Low proteolytic clipping of histone H3 in cervical cancer.J. Cancer. 2016; 7: 1856
- Large scale analysis of co-existing post-translational modifications in histone tails reveals global fine structure of cross-talk.Mol. Cell. Proteomics. 2014; 13: 1855-1865
- Middle-down characterization of the cell cycle dependence of histone H4 posttranslational modifications and proteoforms.Proteomics. 2018; 18: 1700442
- Regulation of nucleosome dynamics by histone modifications.Nat. Struct. Mol. Biol. 2013; 20: 259
- Histone lysine methylation: a signature for chromatin function.Trends Genet. 2003; 19: 629-639
- Quantitative chemical proteomics approach to identify post-translational modification-mediated protein-protein interactions.J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2012; 134: 1982-1985
- Probing chromatin-modifying enzymes with chemical tools.ACS Chem. Biol. 2016; 11: 689-705
- Chromatin affinity purification and quantitative mass spectrometry defining the interactome of histone modification patterns.Mol. Cell. Proteomics. 2011; 10 (M110.005371)
- A chemical biology toolbox to study protein methyltransferases and epigenetic signaling.Nat. Commun. 2019; 10: 19
- Developing diazirine-based chemical probes to identify histone modification ‘readers’ and ‘erasers’.Chem. Sci. 2015; 6: 1011-1017
- The contribution of mass spectrometry-based proteomics to understanding epigenetics.Epigenomics. 2016; 8: 429-445
- Quantitative interaction proteomics and genome-wide profiling of epigenetic histone marks and their readers.Cell. 2010; 142: 967-980
- Selective anchoring of TFIID to nucleosomes by trimethylation of histone H3 lysine 4.Cell. 2007; 131: 58-69
- Photo-lysine captures proteins that bind lysine post-translational modifications.Nat. Chem. Biol. 2016; 12: 70-72
- Approach to profile proteins that recognize post-translationally modified histone “tails”.J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2010; 132: 2504-2505
- A chemical proteomics approach to reveal direct protein-protein interactions in living cells.Cell Chem. Biol. 2018; 25 (e3): 110-120
- Protein tertiary structure by crosslinking/mass spectrometry.Trends Biochem. Sci. 2018; 43: 157-169
- Cross-linking mass spectrometry: methods and applications in structural, molecular and systems biology.Nat. Struct. Mol. Biol. 2018; 25: 1000-1008
- Improving identification of in-organello protein-protein interactions using an affinity-enrichable, isotopically coded, and mass spectrometry-cleavable chemical crosslinker.Mol. Cell. Proteomics. 2020; 19: 624-639
- Characterization of the interaction between arginine methyltransferase Hmt1 and its substrate Npl3: use of multiple cross-linkers, mass spectrometric approaches, and software platforms.Anal. Chem. 2018; 90: 9101-9108
- A cross-linking/mass spectrometry workflow based on MS-cleavable cross-linkers and the MeroX software for studying protein structures and protein–protein interactions.Nat. Protoc. 2018; 13: 2864-2889
- MaXLinker: proteome-wide cross-link identifications with high specificity and sensitivity.Mol. Cell. Proteomics. 2020; 19: 554-568
- A synthetic peptide library for benchmarking crosslinking-mass spectrometry search engines for proteins and protein complexes.Nat. Commun. 2020; 11: 1-9
- Cross-linking mass spectrometry analysis of the yeast nucleus reveals extensive protein–protein interactions not detected by systematic two-hybrid or affinity purification-mass spectrometry.Anal. Chem. 2019; 92: 1874-1882
- Optimized fragmentation schemes and data analysis strategies for proteome-wide cross-link identification.Nat. Commun. 2017; 8: 15473
- Protein interactions, post-translational modifications and topologies in human cells.Mol. Cell. Proteomics. 2013; 12: 1451-1467
- Histone interaction landscapes visualized by crosslinking mass spectrometry in intact cell nuclei.Mol. Cell. Proteomics. 2018; 17: 2018-2033
- Recommendations for performing, interpreting and reporting hydrogen deuterium exchange mass spectrometry (HDX-MS) experiments.Nat. Methods. 2019; 16: 595-602
- Conformational analysis of complex protein states by hydrogen/deuterium exchange mass spectrometry (HDX-MS): challenges and emerging solutions.Trends Anal. Chem. 2018; 106: 125-138
- Chaperone Nap1 shields histone surfaces used in a nucleosome and can put H2A-H2B in an unconventional tetrameric form.Mol. Cell. 2013; 51: 662-677
- Hydrogen-Deuterium exchange coupled to top- and middle-down mass spectrometry reveals histone tail dynamics before and after nucleosome assembly.Structure. 2018; 26 (e3): 1651-1663
- Characterization of histone acylations links chromatin modifications with metabolism.Nat. Commun. 2017; 8: 1-13
- Proteome-wide acetylation dynamics in human cells.Sci. Rep. 2017; 7: 1-14
- Compartmentalised acyl-CoA metabolism and roles in chromatin regulation.Mol. Metab. 2020; 38: 100941
- The impact of cellular metabolism on chromatin dynamics and epigenetics.Nat. Cell Biol. 2017; 19: 1298-1306
- Metabolic control of epigenetics in cancer.Nat. Rev. Cancer. 2016; 16: 694-707
- Estimating the total number of phosphoproteins and phosphorylation sites in eukaryotic proteomes.Gigascience. 2017; 6: 1-11
- Global, in vivo, and site-specific phosphorylation dynamics in signaling networks.Cell. 2006; 127: 635-648
- Peptide immunoaffinity enrichment and targeted mass spectrometry enables multiplex, quantitative pharmacodynamic studies of phospho-signaling.Mol. Cell. Proteomics. 2015; 14: 2261-2273
- The emerging role of PI3K/AKT-mediated epigenetic regulation in cancer.Biochim. Biophys. Acta Rev. Cancer. 2017; 1868: 123-131
- Time-resolved global and chromatin proteomics during herpes simplex virus type 1 (HSV-1) infection.Mol. Cell. Proteomics. 2017; 16: S92-S107
- Coordination between TGF-β cellular signaling and epigenetic regulation during epithelial to mesenchymal transition.Epigenet. Chromatin. 2019; 12: 11
- Akt-dependent metabolic reprogramming regulates tumor cell histone acetylation.Cell Metab. 2014; 20: 306-319
- Multi-omics approaches to disease.Genome Biol. 2017; 18: 83
- Multi-omics insights into functional alterations of the liver in insulin-deficient diabetes mellitus.Mol. Metab. 2019; 26: 30-44
- Targeting epigenetic crosstalk as a therapeutic strategy for EZH2-aberrant solid tumors.Cell. 2018; 175: 186-199.e19
- Lateral thinking: how histone modifications regulate gene expression.Trends Genet. 2016; 32: 42-56
- The tale beyond the tail: histone core domain modifications and the regulation of chromatin structure.Nucleic Acids Res. 2006; 34: 2653-2662
- Strategies for generating modified nucleosomes: applications within structural biology studies.ACS Chem. Biol. 2019; 14: 579-586
- The site-specific installation of methyl-lysine analogs into recombinant histones.Cell. 2007; 128: 1003-1012
- Mechanisms of ubiquitin-nucleosome recognition and regulation of 53BP1 chromatin recruitment by RNF168/169 and RAD18.Mol. Cell. 2017; 66: 473-487.e9
- Combining epigenetic drugs with other therapies for solid tumours - past lessons and future promise.Nat. Rev. Clin. Oncol. 2020; 17: 91-107
User LicenseCreative Commons Attribution (CC BY 4.0) |
- Read, print & download
- Redistribute or republish the final article
- Text & data mine
- Translate the article
- Reuse portions or extracts from the article in other works
- Sell or re-use for commercial purposes
Elsevier's open access license policy